Bond set at $100,000 for Kaw City man accused of sending lewd messages to juveniles

July 21, 2021 | Courts

NEWKIRK — An initial appearance is scheduled in Kay County District Court for a Kaw City man accused of sending lewd messages to juveniles.

Ponca City police report that Joseph Douglas Wood, 35, Kaw City, was arrested July 16 at America’s Best Inn on complaints of making lewd or indecent proposals to any child under 16; Facilitating and or encouraging offers and or soliciting sexual conduct with a minor and communication and or storing data from a computer system for the purpose of violating provisions of the state statutes.

Joseph Douglas Wood

PCPD Det. Sgt. Ben Garrison reports in the affidavit that on June 18, the parents of a 14-year-old reported their daughter had been contacted on social media by Wood.

He reportedly told the teen that he wanted to meet her because she is sexy.

The teen reportedly replied and and asked Wood if he was 30 year old.

Wood reportedly replied,” Who told you that?” and continued on to say that he “would do anything for a chance to chill with the teen and her “sexy body.”

Garrison reportedly did a record search and found that Wood was charged in 2020 with a phone harassment for a similar incident involving a 21-year-old.

Police obtained a search warrant for Wood’s social media accounts and reportedly found several other messages containing lewd and or indecent comments sent to various female profiles, one of which is identified as an 11-year-old.

Another profile belonged to a 14-year-old Tonkawa resident.  The parents of that teen told police they want to press charges.

Police report that lewd messages were sent to a 13-year-old Ponca City resident; A 15-year-old Ponca City resident; A 14-year-old Ponca City resident; A second Tonkawa resident age 14, and a 12-year-old Tonkawa resident.

Garrison reports that there are as many as 15 victims in the case that have not been identified yet and a potential rape victim.

After his arrest, Wood reportedly told police that he is sick and that he is attracted to the girls. He reportedly told police that he was convicted of rape when he was 19 because he had sex with a 14-year-old. 

He reportedly told police that he last had sex with a 14-year-old as recently as two years ago and reportedly admitted to sending the lewd messages to the juveniles and to being a meth addict. He reportedly told officers that when he is high it emboldens him to send messages to young girls. Wood is being held in the county jail on $100,000 bond.

Latest Headlines
Legal Headlines
Story Comments

Story comments are disabled for launch. Feel free to visit our Facebook page or Twitter profile to interact with other readers.