Voter deadlines approach

May 4, 2019 | Featured|Headlines

NEWKIRK — May 17 is the last day to apply for voter registration in order to vote in the June 11 Ponca City Municipal Special Election. Kay County Election Board Secretary Cheryl Howard, said those who are United States citizens, Oklahoma residents and at least 18 years old may apply.

Those who have never registered to vote, need to transfer registration from another county, or need to update their registration information, may do so by filling out and mailing an Oklahoma Voter Registration Application postmarked by May 17 to the election board. Applications are available at the Election Board, 201 South Main Street, Newkirk, and at most post offices, tag agencies, and public libraries in the county or at

Howard said applications postmarked after that will be accepted and processed, but not approved until after June 11. “The County Election Board responds in writing to every person who submits an application for voter registration,” she said. “The response is, either a voter identification card listing the new voter’s precinct number and polling place location, or a letter that explains the reason the application was not approved.”

Howard said anyone who has submitted a voter registration application and has not received a response within 30 days should contact the office. The deadline to request an absentee ballot for the election is 5 p.m. June 5. Howard urges voters who want to vote by absentee ballot to apply early. Absentee ballot application forms are available at the office or can they can be downloaded and printed from the Internet at

“At least two mail transactions must be made.” Howard said. “The Election Board must mail the ballots to the voter and the voter must return the voted ballots by mail. Ballots must be in the hands of the Election Board by 7p.m. on election day in order to be counted.” Howard said that any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot in any election in which he or she is eligible to vote. However, a voter must be registered and reside within the geographical boundaries of a municipality to be eligible to vote in municipal elections. It is not necessary to give a reason for voting absentee.

“While anyone can vote absentee without giving a reason, the law still provides several excuses, and it is to the advantage of some voters to used one of them,” Howard said. “By stating one of the following reasons on their applications, these voters can activate some special conditions that make it easier for them to use absentee ballots.”

  • Voters who are physically incapacitated and voters who care for physically incapacitated persons who cannot be left unattended may vote absentee. They may apply only by mail, or fax.
  • Voters who are confined to nursing homes in the county may vote absentee. An Absentee Voting Board actually goes to the nursing home a few days before the election, sets up a small polling place and allows these persons to vote under circumstances similar to those at a regular precinct polling place. They may apply only by mail or by fax.
  • Military personnel and residents of the county living overseas and the spouses and dependents of each group are eligible to vote absentee without being registered. These voters may apply only by mail or by fax. Military personnel should contact the Voting Service Officers in their units for applications forms and additional information. Residents of Oklahoma living overseas can obtain the same materials from United States Embassies and Consulates. Military personnel and overseas citizens also can download and print the appropriate applications form from the internet at

For more information call the Election Board at 580-362-3760.

Latest Headlines
Legal Headlines
Story Comments

Story comments are disabled for launch. Feel free to visit our Facebook page or Twitter profile to interact with other readers.