Firefighters battle fire and ice as Newkirk business burnsFebruary 13, 2021 | Featured|Headlines
By SHARON ROWEN | © www.kaynewscow.com
NEWKIRK — Newkirk firefighters and others from across Kay County battled fire and ice today during the early morning hours.
Newkirk fire chief Adam Longcrier said crews responded at 2:07 a.m. to Bill Horinek’s Auto Shop, 201 N. Main, and found the business fully engulfed.
“We did everything we could,” said Longcrier. “The structure was fully involved when we arrived with heavy fire showing and the roof collapsing. We were in defensive mode from the beginning and couldn’t make entry. Because of the age of the building we weren’t sure about the walls. We were in a losing battle from the beginning.”
Longcrier said the owner’s son called the fire department to report the fire.
“He was in the building when the fire started. He said he started smelling smoke and realized it was where the wood stove is. That is probably the cause of the blaze but we are investigating. It will be a few days before we can remove the roof debris.”
Longcrier said Kildare, River Road, Blackwell and Tonkawa fire units assisted. “Tonkawa brought an A. R. U. trailer which allowed us to fill up our air tanks.”
Longcrier said one Newkirk firefighter sustained injuries and was transported via Ponca City ambulance to Alliance Health where he was treated and released.
“We battled fire, ice, and trucks freezing up all night,” said Longcrier. “The walls are still standing but smoking and steaming. Downtown Newkirk is going to be smokey for a while. We are checking it on it every hour.”
Longcrier said the forecasted snow will help with the smoldering remains. He said there were several vehicles inside that were damaged or destroyed.
For more photos click here.