Voter deadlines approaching for June 30 Primary ElectionMay 27, 2020 | Headlines
NEWKIRK — The Kay County Election Board is gearing up for the June 30 Primary Election.
Friday June 5 is the last day to apply for voter registration in order to be eligible to vote in the election. The deadline to request a mail absentee ballot is 5 p.m. June 23.
• Blackwell voters will be choosing between incumbent T.J. Greenfield and challenger Glenn Cox to serve as mayor. Voters also have three propositions to vote on.
Proposition No. 1 would amend Article III Section No. 6 of the Blackwell City Charter which provides that any contract of $5,000 or more must be based on specifications, approved by the city council and advertised in the media. If amended the amount would increase to $50,000 or more. Proposition No. 2 would provide that the city manager or designee is authorized to procure competitive bids and submit the bids procured to the council and that the existing competitive bidding charter requirements will not apply to procurements already subject to competitive bidding. Proposition No. 3 proposes certain amendments to the charter, providing that the council hires the city clerk, police chief, and members of the police department. The ordinance would eliminate these appointments by the council and authorizes the city manager to appoint all other employees as specifically provided for in the ordinance. Blackwell voters will also choose between incumbent Phil James Green and challenger Tami Bickford for School Board seat No. 5.
• Kay County Republicans will select the Kay County Court Clerk as current clerk Marilee Thornton is being challenged by her former first deputy Natalie Joella Scavezze. Also, on the Republican ballot is a race for corporation commissioner between Harold Spradling and Todd Hiett and Sen. Jim Inhofe is being challenged by John Tompkins, J.J. State, and Neil Mavis.
• The winner of that contest will take on the winner of the Democratic contest which is between R.O. Joe Cassisty Jr., Elisabeth Britt, Abby Broyles, and Sheila Bilyeu. That is the only contest listed on the Kay County Democratic ballot.
• Kildare voters will choose Jason Wimer or Michael S. Smith to hold Kildare School Board seat No. 2.
• In Newkirk, Eliot Tucker, Ryan Smykil and Joe Anderson are competing for Newkirk City Commissioner seat No. 1.
• Voters will also vote on State Question 802 concerning Medicare Expansion. For information on the question click here. For questions on voting or obtaining sample ballots contact the Kay County Election Board at 580-362-2130.