Voter deadlines approaching

January 8, 2020 | Headlines

NEWKIRK — Voters have until Jan. 17  to apply for voter registration in order to be eligible to vote in the Feb. 11 Newkirk School District I-125 Special Bond Election and the Tonkawa Municipal Special Election.

Persons who are United States citizens, residents of Oklahoma, and at least 18 years old may register to vote.

Persons who have never been registered to vote before or who are not currently registered in the county of their residence and persons who are registered but who need to change their registration information may apply by filling out and mailing an Oklahoma Voter Registration Application form in time for it to be postmarked no later than midnight Friday, Jan. 17.

Applications postmarked after that time still will be accepted and processed, but the applications will not be approved until after Feb. 11.

The County Election Board responds in writing to every person who submits an application for voter registration.  The response is, either a Voter Identification Card listing the new voter’s precinct number and polling place location, or a letter that explains the reason or reasons the application for voter registration was not approved.  

Any person who has submitted a voter registration application and who has not received a response within 30 days should contact the  Election Board office. 

Oklahoma Voter Registration Application forms are available at the Election Board office located at 201 South Main Street, Newkirk, and at most post offices, tag agencies, and public libraries. Applications also are available at

Those who want absentee ballots mailed to them have until Feb. 11 to apply. Absentee ballot application forms are available at the County Election Board office located at 201 S. Main St., Newkirk, OK.  The absentee ballot application forms also can be downloaded and printed from the internet at

The County Election Board must mail the ballots to the voter and the voter must return the voted ballots by mail. Ballots must be in the hands of the County Election Board by 7p.m. on election day in order to be counted. 

Any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot in any election in which he or she is eligible to vote.  However, a voter must be registered and reside at an address within the geographical boundaries of a school district or a municipality to be eligible to vote in the school district or municipal elections.  It is not necessary to give a reason for voting absentee.    

By stating one of the following reasons on their applications, these voters can activate some special conditions that make it easier for them to use absentee ballots.  The reasons are:

• Voters who are physically incapacitated and voters who care for physically incapacitated persons who cannot be left unattended may vote absentee.  They may apply only by mail, or fax.  

• Voters who are confined to nursing homes in the county may vote absentee.  An Absentee Voting Board actually goes to the nursing home a few days before the election, sets up a small polling place and allows these persons to vote under circumstances similar to those at a regular precinct polling place.   

• Military personnel and residents of the county living overseas and the spouses and dependents of each group are eligible to vote absentee without being registered.  Military personnel should contact the Voting Service Officers in their units for applications forms and additional information.  Residents of Oklahoma living overseas can obtain the same materials from United States Embassies and Consulates.  Military personnel and overseas citizens also can download and print the appropriate applications form from the internet at